Saturday, December 1, 2012

Thumb Print Christmas Ornaments


My kiddos (and I) made these last Christmas. 

Aren't they sweet?!

We made salt dough, and used a glass to cut it into circles.  Then we used a straw to poke a hole in each to hang them with a ribbon.  Then pressed their little fingers into a pattern. 

My youngest chose reindeer, and my oldest wanted to do wreaths. 

Just show them how to make the fingerprints into the design wanted, or help them if they're too little to coordinate it themselves. 

After we baked the ornaments, and let them cool, we used crayons to color in the fingerprints.

Then I used a Sharpie to finish off the reindeer, and the girls asked to use glitter glue!  LOVE the effect of the silver glitter glue for snow under the reindeer.  My oldest did bows and berries with red glitter glue. 

I had them sign the backs, and wrote the year with my beloved Sharpie.

These make GREAT gifts for grandparents!  My kids have FOUR sets of grandparents between my husband's family and my own.  Lucky little ducks!  We made an extra set for Mommy and Daddy too.  <3

Here is a super simple recipe for salt dough.  Feel free to link me to any of you and your kiddos salt dough creations, I'd LOVE to see them!

  • 1 cup of fine salt
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of water (may add more)

  • In a large bowl, combine the salt and the flour
    Make a well in the salt/flour mixture and add the water
    Knead until smooth

    Air dry or bake at 200 degrees F

    No comments:

    Post a Comment