Thursday, July 19, 2012

So, Sewing is Not My Strong Point


I like pillows.  They're fluffy and comfortably and make couches and beds look so cozy and inviting.

When I saw this post over at Brassy Apple for DIY Sweater Pillows, I knew I had to try them.

Only problem?  I am BAD at sewing!  I can fix a small tear in clothing, but I can't use a sewing machine to save my life.  I *want* to be able to, but I just can't seem to figure it out.  My mother in law bought me a great machine for Christmas a few years back, and I've broken so many needles trying to figure that thing out.  I did try to use it on these pillows, but eventually gave up and did them by hand.  You can really tell, they're SO uneven!  I'm just going to pretend that it gives them character, haha!

I didn't have any pillow forms either, so I opened up an old (bed) pillow and pulled the fluff out of it to stuff these with.  I was in a DIY without going to the store for supplies first kinda mood (in other words, DIY on the CHEAP).





I made the green pillows too.  But I cheated and used the strips that you iron.  Which wasnt really my best idea ever because we USE our pillows.  The kids really beat them up and they would hold up way better sewn with a machine. 

Maybe one day I'll get the hang of it?  It seems so EASY for everyone who has shown me how to use them...but I can't even get the hang of threading it correctly. 

2 comments:

  1. Sweater pillows are a great idea. I bet they are soft and cozy-comfy.

    Yeah, sewing isn't my string point either. I can kinda sew a straight line...and by straight I mean not at all straight, lol.

    I used to repurpose old bed pillows into throw pillows, using two bandanas sewed together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea! I used cloth napkins for the green pillows.

    ReplyDelete